Wednesday, July 31, 2013

From Head to Toe........

...Or should I say, "From Adam's Apple to Just Below My Navel"?  Let me explain...

I know this photo doesn't mean anything to you.  In fact, it's ugly.  I took it yesterday because I wanted to tell you a story. Our master bathroom walls were in desperate need of a face lift. The towel rack was falling off, and needed to be secured every time a towel was hung on it.  A cover to an exhaust fan had adhered to the ceiling, and when it was time to pull that cover off, part of the outer layer of the drywall came with it.  The baseboards had separated from the walls.  In order to paint the bathroom walls, the medicine cabinet needed to be removed and this photo represents what was behind it.  Of course, the set of hardware on top held it in place.  The set of holes underneath are what makes the story retell worthy.  You see, twenty-five or so years ago, when I hung the medicine cabinet in the first place, I deduced that the best place to hang the mirrored knickknack was directly between the sink below and the light fixture above.  So I handily measured the area, marked where the holes needed to be drilled, inserted the anchors, hung our new treasure, and prepared to admire myself in our new mirror. Unfortunately, the only way a mirror that hung midway between the sink and the light fixture would work is if I wanted to groom that area of my body between my Adam's apple and just below my navel.  Talk about disappointment! I remember calming down, removing the piece, and starting the process all over again.  The result was a stepping stone in my becoming a little handier than I was the day before, which wasn't very handy. This go around, though, I only had to take the medicine cabinet down, paint, and put it back up.  The whole project began when two full quarts of paint leftover from the living room project of the late eighties resurfaced in the basement, a revelation fitting for a cheap frugal handyman such as myself.  It's not the color you-know-who would have picked, but hey, it was free!  By now, I know to have the Advil ready and waiting, so with this project, there was no pain!  It's blessing counting time again...... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers