Thursday, November 14, 2013

Love Story

If you grew up in the '60s and '70s like I did
and you had all sisters like I did
and a Mom like I did
and a Dad like me
You might remember an old flick that wasn't very appealing to a young boy teenager called 'Love Story'.
Nonetheless, I accompanied the gals and Dad to the theater back in the day when a family could afford to go to a theater.  The theater was filled with teary-eyed Moms and sisters, and silent Dads and brothers.  It was a sensation.

From this film came a hit single by Andy Williams.  The 45, of course, was a part of the repertoire of songs on the turntable in the living room on a Sunday afternoon after church and before dinner.  I grew to love most of the tunes we enjoyed as a family, but not this one.  It seems that whenever I get into a situation for which there is no immediate course of action, the first line of this song pops into my head...♪♫WHERE DO I BEGIN?♫♪  Normal, right? 


Well, last weekend we had our first overnight visit from the grandchildren.  Though it was four plus decades ago, that line of that song popped into my head, so I decided to wish Andy Williams peace, for he meant no harm, and have some fun with the lyrics, which are at my fingertips thanks to Google!  Most will have to consult their back brain, or ask their parents or grandparents about the movie or song, but after this weekend and some new lyrics, it holds a new, special meaning....




♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♪♪
Where do I begin
 to clean the kitchen that the grandkids have been in
The sweet young ladies that I'm proud to call my kin
I've got three days of silver stubble on my chin

Where do I start

Feeling so alive
My whole demeanor found a hole and took a dive
The baby's babbling woke us at four forty-five
They stayed awake and so did we and that's no jive

They fill my life

They fill my den with Legos, dolls, and things
And my TV with Disney girls and kings
They fill my floor with lots of crumbs
And everywhere I step there’s constant crunching
Sat on the floor so much there’s hunching
I reach for pain meds
They’re  always there

How long does it last
Can sudden hugs erase the state of dissarray
Impromptu smiles now come and melt our hearts away
This is the ultimate...the mess will have to stay
And I don't care
♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♪♪


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers