Saturday, September 3, 2011

Anxiety

Our son John didn't care about getting his driver's license at age 16...or in college.  At 23, however, he had a girlfriend residing across the state near where he went to school in Indiana, Pennsylvania.  He got his permit in the summer of 2010, but went back to school for his last year without a license. He graduated from college in May of 2011.  He came home and wanted his license STAT.  You see, his girlfriend and he wanted to start a new life together. So, he renewed his expired permit, and by the end of June he was a licensed driver.  The couple found an apartment in Harrisburg so that she could finish her schooling and he could pursue a job search.  To move both of them to Harrisburg, John - who had only been driving for six weeks - rented a U-Haul truck and a gigantic trailer to attach to his girlfriend's car.  He drove the truck, with his girlfriend's belongings inside, and the car and trailer attached, across the state to Harrisburg, unhitched the car, and unloaded all the stuff.  Did I mention that he was a new driver? He drove the truck to our house, which was an hour and a half from Harrisburg, to get his stuff, and then drove back to unload his belongings into his new home.  If I had been informed of all of this, I would have broken into a sweat, felt my throat close, and felt my body shaking with my mind racing. In a few moments, would have reluctantly conversed with him, marveled at his courage to take on such a difficult job, and moved on to the next source of anxiety.   I knew he was renting the truck, but didn't know about the attached vehicle until after he was on the road.   My son, a novice driver, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike driving a UHaul truck with a car attached to the back.  I thought I handled it well when Jackie told me.  I said, "WHAT?!  IS HE CRAZY??"  Now, instead of several moments of nausea, I had a whole day!  Did I mention that there was a CAR attached to the UHaul truck?  In hindsight, if I was a 24 year old young guy in love, I would have handled it the same way he did.......NOT!!!!  If I was a 24 year old guy in love, she would live in a neighboring town!  Fortunately, John doesn't feel the same way.  John took an adventure and tackled it head-on, and I am proud.  I hope I don't find out about the next adventure, though, until it's in the past........

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers