Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Factual Fable: By Me


     It wasn’t a very good morning.  It all started with the coffee.  I have been making the coffee every morning for almost thirty years, and the measuring has been the same for all of them:  six measures of coffee and twelve cups of water.  Today I couldn’t scoop out six measures of coffee without getting distracted and having to start over.......and that was just the beginning!
     I left the house at the usual time to go to work.  As I was about to enter my car, I noticed that some neighbors had put their recycling on the curb for pickup.  I wondered why the pickup was going to be on Tuesday morning this week instead of Wednesday.  Then I remembered that, although this was indeed the second workday of the week, It was Wednesday, not Tuesday, and the recycling needed to be put out.  Darn those Monday holidays!
     So I put my lunch bag and water jug on the roof of the car, grabbed the keys out of my pocket, unlocked the car door and placed all (or so I thought) of my belongings in the car and proceeded to do my Wednesday morning duty.  After the deed was done, I got in the car and was on my merry way.  I noticed a contractor’s van on the corner of Sixth and Limestone Streets with two people in it.  I made a left at that intersection and decided it was time for a sip of water from my jug.  When I went to grab it from its usual home in the cup holder, it was gone.  My lunch bag was where it was supposed to be, but the jug was definitely missing.  Oh well, I thought, I can always buy a bottle of water at school.
     Then it occurred to me that I usually put my stuff in my car and then lock the house from the outside, so with the recycling debacle, I was sure that I had forgotten to lock the house at all.  That settled it…I needed to turn around, go home and check the house and, as long as I was home, find my water jug.   
     On my way home, I passed a coworker, and I knew that I would be asked about my traveling toward home when I should have been going toward the school.  When I got home, I discovered that the house was unlocked, so I went in and looked for the water, but it was nowhere to be found.  I locked the door, perused the front porch for the jug, and disappointedly set out on my second attempt at getting to work.
     I drove two blocks when I noticed something in the street on the corner of Sixth and Bridge Streets.  It was my green jug of water!  I stopped, got out of my car, picked it up, and hoped beyond hope that no one was watching.  Of course, within seconds, that contractor’s van passed and its two occupants waved and smiled and I waved and smiled back, albeit with a red face.
     Of course, when I got to work, my coworker’s first words were, “What were you rushing home about?”  As usual, my story made for great morning fodder in the office.    The morals of this story are:

1.  Drive safely.  I do.  In fact, I drove two blocks this morning with a jug of water on my roof!
2.  Remember to recycle.  An overflowing recycling receptacle is ugly, unsanitary, and annoying.  By the time I get home, my recycling bin will be as empty as my brain is becoming, and I’ll be content.
3.  Remember to smile.  "A smile is a curve that sets everything straight." ~Phyllis Diller~ …and if one person can smile at my antics, maybe it won’t be such a bad day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers