Saturday, September 29, 2012

'Twas the Night Before Voting........


 Note to self:  Please check the length of a poem before you decide to write a parody based on its format!


'Twas the night before voting, when all through the states

All the hopefuls were pacing, awaiting their fates;

The GOP's chosen Mitt Romney to run,

And he picked Paul Ryan to join in the fun;

The elephants had their convictions so strong,

And blasted the donkeys on just what was wrong;

Obama with his triumphs, Michelle's healthy plan,

They went on the trail to get votes for the man,

The Dems want some more of Barack H. Obama,

And Joe Biden, Junior, 'tis writ with a comma.

Away to the TV I flew like a flash,

Just hoping to hear a Republican splash.

The Romney clan said the economy blows, 

Gave nays to all the incumbent's term lows,

Then right after that, 'twas that the Dems, filled my set,

To say on the air that Mitt Romney's all wet 

With the media driving, the airwaves are quick,

With ads slamming both, and it all makes me sick.

Been voting for years, yep, since seventy-six,

And these put down commercials, they never will nix;

"Cite Reagan! and Truman! and Agnew and Nixon!

On Clinton! on Carter! on Bushes, ne'er fixin'!

To the top of the North! to the tip of Key West!

"Now put 'em down! shove 'em down! 'cause I am the best"

As I leave home for errands, and need food to buy

I am met with an obstacle, costs to the sky,

And onto the houses, some old and some new,

Some signs of foreclosure; abandonment too.

And then, in an instant, I heard on the news

The point-counter point of the Medicare blues.

As I rested my head, and my brain was too tense,

I heard the two argue the cost of defense

They dress to the nines,  boast impressive displays,

And talk about women, and seniors, and gays;

A stint on Dave Lettermen, and one on The View,

I'm guessing they had nothing better to do.

Their eyes -- how they twinkled! Their dimples how merry!

Reminiscent of Palin, McCain, and John Kerry!

As most seekers do,  some do bad, some do well,

Each hopes to be seen, and to grace SNL;

Do you think that Barack is the more perfect fit?

Or should more votes be for Paul Ryan and Mitt;

Most times I'm a smart, and controlled little fellow,

Still, I'll shake when I vote like a bowlful of Jello.

"I'm up on the issues," this old Blogger boasts

I saw them en masse on my Facebook friends' posts;

I'm bothered by conscience and thoughts in my head,

Is either as good or as bad as they said?

The media man, too much news is his work,

Makes us ask if our guy is a saint or a jerk.

So how do I choose just which man is the best? 

And get months of keeping it in off my chest? 

I'll pray for our people, and end this epistle. 

I'll spring to the polls, to my truth give a whistle, 

While I hear from Barack and from Mitt on that night, 

"Happy Choosing to all, oh, and thanks for the fight."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers