Sunday, December 2, 2012

My Thirty Days of Thanks...The Final Two: Mom and Lucy and the Christmas Spirit

Day 29:  Mom and Lucy:  I know...I'm an adult and serious and worry too much.  In the year I was born, 1957, I Love Lucy ended its run.  I remember that when I was preschool age, and there were no preschools, and it was a weekday morning, and too early to go outside and play, Mom would have the CBS daytime reruns tuned in on the TV while she was doing the ironing, and I would be playing with my Matchbox cars, and embedded in the roster was Lucy.  I remember scenes like the one with the runaway chocolate in the candy factory; the one in the television studio getting smashed on Vitameatavegamin; the stomping of grapes; the pulling of the emergency brake on a huge train, and countless others that would make Mom and I laugh out loud.  I also remember when the cycle of episodes had completed and was begun again, and Mom and I would laugh just as hard at the rebroadcasts as we did the last time we saw them.  Today, I have the DVDs of the series, and I can still get wrapped up in the comedy, and no matter what the matter of the day is, I am guaranteed a laugh for that half hour that Lucy is on. Thanks for the memory, Mom...and thanks for the laughs, Lucy!


Day 30:  The Christmas Spirit:  It's finally here.  After nearly a month of purposefully avoiding listening to the radio in the car, not paying attention to commercials on television, and spending as little time as possible in stores, I am ready for the season to begin.  The change in my Scrooge-like mentality came today when I put on some Christmas tunes and did the first of the decorating. It's my holiday, and I demand, as I have in past years, that the season not start before Thanksgiving so that I can enjoy it on my own terms, and into the beginning of January if I choose to. Let the preparations and celebrations begin...I am thankful the Christmas spirit has returned.  Bring it on, World!




As November closes, and as I close the posting of "My Thirty Days of Thanks," express my gratitude for the idea of acknowledging a blessing a day to my Facebook friends, and give thanks to anyone, anything, or any situation that in any way brought about those feelings of thanks. I am hopeful that the desire to pause and take note of a blessing each day will become a habit through the new year and always.  May each of your days have at least one moment of thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers