Moments

Moments
Moments

Blog Archive

Friday, November 30, 2012

My Thirty Days of Thanks...Day 28: Psychology and Sympathetic Coworkers

Day 28:  Sympathetic Coworkers and Psychology:  Yes, Psychology!  Today, a thoughtful coworker asked me to remind her to check to see if our lamination was finished in the building library.  I answered, "You want me to remember something?"  I proceeded to tell her of an event that happened just hours before at home.  I had just finished warming up Jackie's car, come inside, and taken a sip of coffee.  Less than five minutes later, she was ready to be on her way, and the car keys were gone.  I frantically searched the key rack, my pockets, the computer desk, the counter tops....the inside of the refrigerator....NO KEYS!  After a few more moments of key searching, I found them tucked under a piece of mail on the counter top of the island in the kitchen.  A few tense husband-wife moments, then everything was fine again...except now I was the one worried about my questionable short-term memory.  If I understand the sympathetic coworker's explanation of my dilemma correctly, there is more than one kind of memory loss, and mine is probably the kind in which there were so many things to do, that my brain was thinking about the next thing as I was finishing the first thing.  That's how I can show up at work with...

...mismatched shoes or socks (Old Reason: I can't see in the bottom of my closet.  New Reason: I was thinking about the upcoming combing of my hair.)
...whiskers (Old Reason:  There are too many scabs from the prior day's shaving.  New Reason: I was gonna shave, and before I knew it, I was in the shower.)
...stinky armpits (Old Reason: I either forgot to put on my deodorant, or I was unaware that the deodorant stick was all the way down to the plastic.  New Reason: In my brain, I was already brushing my teeth.)
...zipper down (Old Reason:  With that belly, I can't even see my zipper anymore.  New Reason:  In my brain, I was already putting my coat on and running out the door.)

So that's it!  As I was coming inside and instinctively putting the keys down, I was thinking about my lunch and food and stuff.  So yes, I am thankful for that gal who solved my memory problem, and her profound knowledge of psychology.  





2 comments:

  1. Joe, I thought I was the only one that did those things. I'm so tired at the end of the day and I haven't accomplished one thing. I have this little crossword thingy my husband bought me and while everyone was here over the holiday it disappeared. I was very distraught, so I got on the internet to order a new one and when I opened my purse to get my debit card, there it was. I never put it in my purse, but someone did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now we know why these things happen to us....psychology! LOL

      Delete

Followers