Moments

Moments
Moments

Blog Archive

Monday, November 19, 2012

My Thirty Days of Thanks...17, 18, and 19

Stefana Giacchino
a.k.a. Grandmom
on her 70th birthday
in 1970
Here we go....three more days of things to be thankful for.  

Day 17:  Grandparents:  We lost my last grandparent, my maternal grandmother on this day in 1979.  I remember my grandparents so fondly. Never would someone be so happy to see my sisters and I as any of my grandparents.  Never would anyone be so boastful of anything my sisters or I did.  I remember them worrying about our troubles as if they were their own.  I remember my parents as grandparents, so proud of their grandchildren's varied accomplishments:  whether it was military service, musical genius, culinary expertise, martial arts, academic success, or even just their personalities.  I remember them being sympathetic toward their grandchildren's growing pains.  Now, I am a grandparent, and I can already see why they were the way they were with their grandchildren.  I am thankful for grandparents.....past, present, and future!
1986 - John and Daddy
Happy Birthday, John!


Day 18:   Kids not being able to come to dinner:  Let me explain this one. Last Sunday, we had dinner in our home with three of our four children and their families and friends present.  Today, the fourth kid and his fiance came to dinner, and the cycle was complete.  I remember my mother having everyone to her home for dinner, and if someone couldn't make it because they had other family obligations, he or she'd be there the next week, and the cycle would be complete.  I'm thankful I have four kids who want to come home for dinner whenever they can.


Day 19:  Happy Birthday, John!  I am thankful for all my kids.  My second son, John, was born on this day in 1986.  There is no doubt in the world that he is my son!  He looks like me.  He's the one who sees a cut on my elbow and asks, "Shavin' again, Dad?"  I tell him never to comment on my looks, because thirty years from now, he's gonna look just like me!  He has a subtle sense of humor, a hint of absent mindedness, a keen eye for detail, and a compassionate caring demeanor.  I am glad he is my son.  Happy Birthday, John!

It's almost here!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers