Tuesday, October 25, 2011

SPAM WATCHES, WRIST WATCHES, AND MANHOOD

     This is a story about spam.  I’m not talking about the kind you spread on your sandwich, but the kind you get embedded among your important emails.   For the longest time, I could check my work email and be assured that the junk email had been isolated, taken out and trashed.

     This year, though, my place of employment discarded the old garbage collector for a new and improved version.  It sounded like it would be the be all and end all of safety in my email account.   I would continue to get only work related items, and the advertisements would never see the light of day.

     The problem that surfaced during the summer was that there was a delay between the removal of the old spam detector and the installation of the new one.   Soon that safe, clean collection of valid emails became infested with dark, dirty invaders.  One at a time, I would check the preview pane and discard the offers of Rolex watches; RVs; and, most importantly offers to increase the size and quality of my manhood. 

     By late summer, the new and improved spam detection system had been installed and was good to go.  Once daily, I would get a summary email containing all those types of emails I was deleting one at a time.  This was great  I thought.  I don’t have to take the time to dismiss the offers of no use to me anymore.  I would only have to delete one item of nonsense per day.  I deleted it with the confidence that nothing valid was contained therein and it was all trash.

     Then, IT came…the request in the form of an email from the Administration to look at that summary carefully to see if any important emails were included because some were obviously being deemed spam, but they were actually of high importance. 

     So, every day I obediently look through my summary.  I rarely find anything work related, but have the comfort of knowing that if I ever need an RV, a new watch, or…………you know………..I’ll have a place to shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers