Monday, April 16, 2012

Blog #62: Annoying Spring Ramblings

One of my biggest downfalls as a property owner is the upkeep of the grounds.  It's not that I don't enjoy cutting the grass...it's just that with each season of lawn care, I move a little slower and need to add a few minutes of cutting time to the process.  At this point, I do the front yard and take a break...sometimes a day or two.  Then I get the desire to see the jungle in the backyard disappear.  Certain advancements have eased the pain, and I do mean PAIN of maintaining my property.  For example, I can now have a pair of headphones on while I mow. Between the sounds of the tunes and the grinding of the mower engine, I can get lost in a world where I can dream and solve the world's problems.....or maybe just mine.....or maybe just work on mine a little.  I am also blessed with a mower that has a lever that, when held in the right position, makes the wheels turn by themselves.  My yard is one filled with hills, so this is a Godsend!  So, it's April and mowing season is here.  It's Easter week and we're having 16 family members for dinner, and some of them will be overnight guests.  It's been a good winter.  I was hardly a curmudgeon this year because the snow was virtually non-existent and I was blessed with a Spring break from school.  So the Easter checklist of preparations went like this:  Search for IPod and headphones-Check; Start mower for the first time this season-Check; Remember at the start instead of right before almost being done that the mower is self propelled-Check; Cut grass-Check; finish painting trim in upstairs hall-Check; Get guest room ready for Easter guests-Check.  This is a fine time to add that I am the proud owner of a bottle of Advil, so finally; find and take Advil-Check......



Last Saturday morning's breakfast table talk was peaceful. I don't remember what was said to prompt me to say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do," but something made me say it. Jackie said, "You're not in Rome, you're in Parkesburg. When in Parkesburg, do as your wife tells you to do!" So I did...........


Determined to be less self-conscious and more laid back about my changing appearance, I was recently marveling at how my morning checklist of things to do to get ready for work has changed over the years.  I remember growing a beard and having to trim it just right, styling  the rather long hair so that every follicle was in place while keeping that dry look, slapping on that cologne, and leaving those glasses off if I had no up close work to do so those eyes could be seen.  In 2012, however, it has evolved into making sure the beard is gone so I don't start resembling Santa Claus or Rip Van Winkle; skipping the cologne and making sure the deodorant is on so as not to offend the students and workmates; putting gel on the the remaining follicles to keep a tidbit of  semblance of having hair in the first place; putting those glasses on to see where the deodorant, shaving cream, razor, and hair gel is, and to hide those tired eyes and the crow's feet;  and last but never least, affirm that the zipper is up, again, so as not to offend anyone. If one is accidentally forgotten, it's no big deal any more.  It'll either be fixed right there on the spot, or I'll get it right tomorrow!.....


Some of the new words I've learned recently, not from Crossword Puzzles or Words With Friends, but right in my own home, and from my wife:

RAMEKIN        From Dictionary.com - a small dish in which food can be baked and served.
                          From Joe's imagination before the clarification by his wife:  head-butting his little sister.

ARUGULA       From Dictionary.com - a Mediterranean plant used in salads.
                         From Joe's imagination before the clarification by his wife:  the sound the horn of the classic 
                                       Model T makes.....AR-UUUU-GULA!!  AR-UUUU-GULA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers