Moments

Moments
Moments

Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Today's Ramblings: Expectant Parenthood and Grandparenthood

1990's:  One of the sweetest things we did as parents was to redo our son's room and ask him what he would like it to look like.  His response was blue walls and red woodwork.  So we marched ourselves to the paint store and got royal blue wall paint and red woodwork paint.  Remember, for most of the 1990's I was still in my late 30's and early 40's, so it didn't matter that it took four coats of paint to cover the white.  When it was finished....it was gaudy, but it made the boy smile, and it matched the still hanging border with the primary colored balloons......all was good.........

2010's:  WHAT THE HELL WERE WE THINKING?  It took four hours to scrape that damned border off the walls!  Did I mention that there was a black chalkboard made of contact paper stuck to the wall, and that   it peeled off beautifully, but that it made the paint under it, the previously mentioned dark blue, bubble?  So when I went to smooth the bubbles, it took some of...correction...lots of the top layer of the drywall off?    Thank God I'm handy......NOT!  When the saleslady at the Home Depot stopped laughing at my dilemma, she provided me with all the things I would need to repair, prime and paint the walls and woodwork, and completely disguise our weak moments.  She said with an all-knowing smirk, "Let me guess, that room's going to be the office-slash-guest room, isn't it..."   I smiled and affirmed her guess, mentally gesturing at her as I exited the store......
*********************************************************************************
Well, that's some big grandbaby-to-be I've got coming.  An appointment confirmed the good health of the child, and that he or she weighs more than ten pounds, and Mom and Dad told us last night that a C-section is probable within the next few days.  I have some friends and coworkers who have recently given birth or expect to in the coming months.  Some of them have complained of their clothing not fitting right anymore, and that perhaps laying and sitting on an egg would be an easier alternative.  This made me smile, even laugh,  as I fondly remembered the excitement Jackie and I felt when our babies started moving and kicking inside the womb.  I think these gals are going to enjoy their pregnancies and their children immensely, but I do have a question for their Dads, a.k.a. the baby's grandfathers.  Is it normal for an expectant Grandpa to feel the same about his clothing that the mother-to-be feels?  I've been fighting with five or so pounds on and off in recent years, but since this danged Grandpa thing, it's ten or so pounds!  Will I get my boyish figure back after the birth?  Would it help if I went and sat on the egg for awhile?  It's probably too late at this point, but I've always wondered about weight gain among expectant fathers......and if it was applicable to expectant grandfathers, too........

WHATEVER!!  I'm deliriously hoping that the next entry in my blog will be the good news of a chubby little addition to the Bonanno family, and a healthy, happy, albeit temporarily pudgy Mom and Dad, too!  Stay tuned..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers