Friday, June 14, 2013

Fob Frustration, Optical Observation, and Hapless Happiness

Fob Frustration:  We are the proud owners of two cars. One is an older blue Honda, and the other is a slightly newer white Hyundai.  Some days I carry only the keys to the car I am driving that day in my pocket, and most days that car is the blue Honda.  Some days, however, I carry the keys to both cars.  

My wife told me that if one cannot locate his car in a parking lot, pressing his key fob against his chin extends the range of recognition for that fob.  It sounds like an old wive's tale...but certainly not because the wife is old, for I know better; and definitely not because the tale is old, for key fobs were not in existence when wive's tales were invented.  

Early this week, my youngest son Brian and I took a trip to Walmart, and on the way out walked to where I remembered parking my car.  You can imagine my embarrassment when I couldn't find the car.  I stood and visually circled the lot, and Brian was standing with me silently.  Then, the old wive's tale came to mind, and I pulled the keys from my pocket and pressed them to my chin and pressed the button on the fob.  No sound.  I did a quarter turn and repeated the action.  Still no sound.  Another quarter turn and one last fob to the chin gesture.  Still no sound.  

I turned to Brian and said, "I wonder where it is!"  

"It's right here," he said with a smirk, pointing to the Hyundai.

As for the old wive's tale...the proof will have to wait until the car and key fob in question match.

**************************************************

Optical Observation:  Folks like to go the convenience store to get their gasoline, then leave their car parked at the pump while they go into the store to buy their coffee in spite of the fact that there are parking spots right in front of the building. If I arrive when there are too many idle cars at the pumps, I get grumpy.


**************************************************

Hapless Happiness:  So, I'm outside trimming the hedges. Two squirrels that are frolicking and playing in the street come up the curb to the sidewalk and stop right at my feet, then run away in that frightened skittish manner.......much the same way the Christmas carolers do when they realize they are singing to Scrooge. It's a beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers