Friday, June 7, 2013

Fond Farewells and New Beginnings









It's that day again.  It's the day when I say 'goodbye' to another school year.  It's the day when I bid farewell to the children, for they are moving onward and upward.  Some I will see out in the community.  They'll either be screaming my name when they see me, or they'll be red-faced and pretend they don't see me at all.  Some I may never see again.  Sometimes I wish I could get regular updates and see if I've had an impact on them.  Sometimes I wish I could hold onto them just a little longer because our work here is not finished.  Sometimes I am ready for them to move on.  





Every year, my future as a reading educator is more in jeopardy.  Funding gets cut, hours get cut, positions disappear, morale dwindles...I could go on.  With all the unknowns from one year to the next in this position, there is one constant.  Funding can be taken, hours can be taken, enthusiasm can be squelched, but there will always be that bottom line...that little face with the big eyes that can't wait to share his discovery in that book he's reading, or that paragraph she's written. 





My colleagues and I are the winners.  We follow the rules presented to us and see that the little scholars are assessed. Then we move on and have the opportunity to let them be children again and grow, learn, create, sing, draw, run, and, of course, READ! 





Somehow, there will always be a new beginning to follow the fond farewell....a renewed enthusiasm as the new readers enter their journey of discovery...a new set of big eyes full of wonder, and a reason to continue my journey as long as I'm able, and as long as they'll have me........   










No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers