Moments

Moments
Moments

Blog Archive

Friday, July 4, 2014

The Bad News and the Good News

The good news is that it is summer and there is no chance of snow.
The bad news is that my car was backed into by a small pickup truck and I was in it.  
The good news was that no one was injured.
The bad news is that the auto body repair shop guy recommended that I don't drive the car until after the repairs are completed.
The good news is that I complied and got a Hertz rental car and the seventy-something gentleman who picked me up from the auto body shop and took me to the Hertz location began a pleasant exchange of questions and answers.
The bad news is that when the topic of conversation headed in the direction of his retirement, he asked, "Do you still work?"  I heard, "Do you still work?" but thought, "Are you still young enough to work?"  and "Do you still work with all that grey hair?"
The good news is that I was able to answer, "Yes I do!"

The good news is that I ground some coffee in the coffee grinder and placed the grinds in a filter in the appropriate location inside the coffee pot, filled the carafe with water and filled the reservoir with water from the carafe, and turned the pot on.
The bad news is that it didn't take me long to realize that I still had the empty carafe in my hand.  Pass the Bounty, please?

The good news is that many canned goods have those pull tabs and don't require a can opener.
The bad news is that I always pull those tabs off the can without opening it.
The good news is that I am still the proud owner of several varieties of can openers and can still open a can even after the convenience of a pull tab is gone.

The bad news is that someone has to take the recycling collected in the house and bring it to the outside bin for disposal.
The good news is that I just gather the empty cans, bottles, and papers in a sweep and get 'em out of the house.  It's a great feeling.
The bad news is that one of the good glasses, still un-cracked and unbroken, ended up in the outside bin? 
The good news is that it survived its journey to and from the recycle bin.
The bad news is that, since I have the duty of handling the recycling, I am the one who nearly disposed of the perfectly good glass.
The good news is that no one will ever know!

The good news is that my son cut the grass for me.
The bad news is that he decided to cut the grass growing from the glass on the basement window.  "I cut the grass.  I also broke a window, but I cut the grass!  Isn't that good?"  
The good news is that the frame slid right out for repair at a local hardware store, and the entire job would cost under twenty dollars.
The bad news is that we were without a basement window for a week.  
The good news is that after the glass was fixed, it only took an hour and a half to put the frame back in place.
The bad news is that it was a five minute job that took an hour and a half because I was attempting to install it backwards.
The good news is that my son cut the grass!

The good news is that 94 year-old Aunt Rose's quest to get rid of some old clothes and shoes became reality.
The bad news is that the clothes and shoes ended up in the trunk of my car.
The good news is that I had some old clothes and shoes to dispose of too, and there is a Good Will drop off point just minutes away.
The bad news is that my stash of shoes was in a flimsy trash bag that broke just before I got it to the bin.
The good news is that I picked up the shoes from the ground, brought them home, found a better trash bag, and dropped them off a second time.
The bad news is that after the car accident, I emptied the trunk of the car and found one shoe from the stash.
The good news is that there is a shoe without a mate at our local Good Will store and someone will probably buy it.  Silly shoe day, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers