Moments

Moments
Moments

Blog Archive

Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Facebook Positivity Challenge, Day 2: Holding On and Letting Go

It's day 2 of sharing positive thoughts on Facebook.  Yesterday, I have to admit, I treated this challenge the same as I would if I was taking one of those quizzes to see what city I should live in, which rock star I am, or even which Disney character is most like me!  Yesterday, my positive thoughts came from the task of putting a new facade on the garage door.  Today, the positives come from a much deeper place.  


It began with the completion of an unpleasant task.  It's was three years ago on June 29th since Mom died.  The estate had been settled for quite some time, and soon there were hundreds and hundreds of papers in a filing cabinet in my basement.  This week, paper by paper, I sifted through, kept what needed to be kept, and prepared a huge pile of shredding for myself.  With the melancholy memory of those events of three years ago still creeping to the surface periodically, this cleaning out is the first of today's positive thoughts.  Nothing I can do will bring her back.  After three years, it was easier to see that statements and medical records mean nothing at this point. They needed to go and they did...a positive!

1946 -Mom and Dad's wedding invitation


That old filing cabinet housed some documents in its pockets too!  I now have birth certificates, marriage licences, and many other artifacts and sentimental keepsakes from my parents and grandparents in my possession and cannot wait to share them with my sisters.  These, and not financial statements, are what represent their lives and they are here to be seen....a second positive!
1930's - Business Card #1  for my
Grandfather's barber shop






1930's - Business Card #2 for my
Grandfather's barber shop

2014 - This piece was designed and made by 
my Dad as a microwave cart.  It made the move 
from my sister's house to mine in the 1990's, 
and is now used to house cookbooks and 
odds and ends since we upgraded to 
an over the stove microwave oven.

1980's - These are the newly discovered plans
drawn by my Dad for the
microwave/cookbook/odds and ends
cart.


1938 - Dad's graduation from middle school in the
School District of Philadelphia





1942 - My maternal Grandmother's United States Certificate of Naturalization

While feeling the loss never quite goes away, today's third positive comes from being thankful for the time that has passed, leading to the desire to keep the memory alive, and the courage to let go of the insignificant.


I think I'm beginning to warm up to this positivity challenge.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers