Moments

Moments
Moments

Blog Archive

Friday, August 26, 2011

My Love-Hate Relationship With Computers...Phase 2...Shipping

By now I hope you know that I am a little frustrated because my netbook computer needs to be sent to Texas to be reformatted.  To refresh your memory, when I turn the thing on, it tells me to insert a boot disc and press enter.  I don't have a boot disc, and there is no place for inserting such a thing.   I won't divulge the name of the manufacturer (Acer), but I was told to ship the item using UPS or Fed Ex, not the US Postal Service.  Well, If I was going to keep a log of the cost and aggravation of fixing this thing to see if it's worth the trouble and expense, here's what today's entry would look like:  Today I went to the UPS store about two miles from home.  I had the computer in a little box that was an appropriate size, but not compatible with regulations regarding the logos and such on the outside of the box.  Okay, I had to have them package it for me.  The computer manufacturer, which will still remain nameless (Acer), recommended insurance for the item.  There's a fuel surcharge.  Of course, there's always sales tax.  This cheapskate...um...frugal guy can't handle it.  The end result...UPS can have it in Texas at the repair center of the manufacturer (Acer) by next Wednesday, and it only cost me $30.20 .  I hope Hurricane Irene doesn't swoop down and alter its path while it's on its way to Texas.  When I get the machine back, it will be as if it was just taken out of the box for the first time.  All I can say is, "Thank goodness for my external hard drive!"  Who knows?...Maybe after they're done inserting the boot disc and doing whatever it is they do after it's inserted, they won't charge me to return the computer to me, and all will be well. We'll wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers